March 27, 2009

Poetry Friday: I Meant To Do My Work Today

I meant to do my work today,
But a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field,
And all the leaves were calling me.
And the wind went sighing over the land,
Tossing the grasses to and fro,
And a rainbow held out its shining hand,
So what could I do but laugh and go?

-- Richard LeGallienne
















I've been thinking about work and self-discipline this week. This is a poem that's been a favorite since I was a kid. Right now I have lots of projects I'm working on. I would love to just laugh and go, but for now, I can only read this poem. For another poem about work, visit The Write Sisters here.

Poetry Friday is being hosted by Julie Larios over here at The Drift Record. Check it out!

1 comment:

laurasalas said...

Beautiful poem. I need to follow this impulse more often!

Good luck with your deadlines!