February 13, 2009

Two Songs


1

Sex, as they harshly call it,
I fell into this morning
at ten o'clock , a drizzling hour
of traffic and wet newspapers.
I thought of him who yesterday
clearly didn't
turn me to a hot field
ready for plowing,
and longing for that young man
pierced me to the roots
bathing every vein, etc.
All day he appears to me
touchingly desirable,
a prize one could wreck one's peace for:
I'd call it love if love
didn't take so many years
But lust too is a jewel
a sweet flower and what
pure happiness to know
all our high-toned questions
breed in a lively animal.

-- Adrienne Rich
from Two Songs

You can find the second song by clicking here:

The lovely rain-day traffic painting was created by Eileen O'Brien. You can find her work here at redbubble.com. This is a new discovery. I'll get back to you when I find out more.

Tody's Poetry Friday is being hosted here at Big A little a.





No comments: